Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Pre-Vienna Prep

This upcoming fall I will be going to Vienna, Austria for a semester. I am completely psyched and find it difficult to focus on other things. As part of my procrastination and under the guise of providing a service... I have decided to create a blog highlighting the adventures of the Fall 2007 FPU Vienna group.

Our group of 16-17 will be led by Professor Donelan, the resident Philosophy Professor (yay!), his family and Josh Poisson, a previous Vienna student. The program entails three mandatory courses created and offered by our leader, a course from a Viennese instructor, and an option to take a course in German. I hope that this blog will provide an opportunity for us to write about great places we have been, organize trips to events (Oktoberfest Anyone??) and gripe about any problems we encounter.

As any extremely excited borderline-obsessive individual would do, the moment I was accepted to the Vienna program I began scouring the Internet for information regarding hang-outs and things to do. I have found some sites that I found to be helpful and have listed them below:

    1. Official Vienna (Wien) Tour site: This site has some great information regarding things to do from Rock Climbing to the best Nightclubs and Restaurants to visit.
    2. Vienna Wiki: This is an awesome site! I must admit that I have a hidden love for wiki sites and this one is quite good. It lists special bargains, places to go, it even lists an Archaeological Excavation of Roman Ruins that you can reach by train...
    3. About Vienna: The first site I came upon and really one of the only ones that addressed the culture and food difference. It lists a bunch of restaurants and events, but the listings are generic. It is great and geared for people that don't know a lot about the customs.
    4. This is an interactive city map. I want to make one with all of our recommendations on it by the end of the semester, but I guess this will have to do for now..
    5. Virtual Tour: Pretty pictures and informative descriptions, gives us stuff to look forward to and what could be bad about that?
    6. Essential Vienna Information: This site discusses all practical aspects of travelling covering everything from the customs requirements to the daily weather.
These are just a few that I have found and I will be adding to this list as I find more. If you find any, comment and I will put it into the main post.

I think this is enough for today... Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments: