Friday, April 27, 2007

Oktoberfest

During our semester in Europe, several notable festivals will be taking place one being the notorious Oktoberfest. Some people have expressed an interest in attending and personally I don't think I could stand to be so close to Munich and not go to this 'notable' event...

Oktoberfest occurs on the last two weeks of September and the festival lasts approximately eighteen days. The opening ceremony is the tapping of the first keg and then lots of food and drinking in semi-permanent tent structures placed all around Munich. It seems absolutely unforgettable..

So I decided to look for prices of hostels and train tickets and the like only to find that most hostels are already booked! Apparently people prepare for this event waaay too far in advance... but I have not given up hope and was wondering if there would be an interest in having a large group go to Oktoberfest together... we might actually get a cheaper rate.

Something I did find though was a hostel that is a tent... literally a tent... a friend who went on FPU's Walk across Europe was psyched, it would be like reliving the Good 'Ole Days. I am however, slightly more skeptical. Hostels are tricky. I found one that looked like pink hell, another that looked like a prison and even another that seemed to come straight out of the GreenPeace catalogue. I will keep looking, because if nothing is found, we'll just sleep in the street. :)

No comments: